[liphp] Sample Code (Improved)

Mark Drago [email protected]
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 11:09:48 -0400

>By the way it gives an actual screen resolution, not the
>current browser window. You can certain it yourself by changing
>browser's window and running script again

...just to clear this up.  The problem with checking a user's screen
resolution wasn't that it gave you the size of the browser window, the
problem is that it _does_ give you their real resolution and _not_ the
size of the browser window.  So, if you go ahead and make a webpage that
assumes that the user has atleast a resolution of 1024x768 (maybe a
little high, but this is just an example), and the user doesn't have
their browser window maximized, then your site won't look right to
them.  Well, I guess the worst thing is that they'll have to scroll
sideways.  I have a screen resolution of 1280x1024 at home, however, I
_never_ maximize my browser window.  I just don't need that much room
and I'd rather be able to see the other windows on my desktop like
'gaim' or 'xmms'.  So, there really is no need to need to know the
user's screen resolution besides just curiousity, because it can't be
used reliably.

--Mark.